Ron,

I think that the _type_ of software that you are running can make a
tremendous difference in what/how a vendor might expect to be
compensated for your HA machine.

If it is ERP software that runs your business, the vendor might easily
expect that you will not run on the backup box unless a disaster has
occurred and so accommodate you accordingly.  It would not be
unreasonable for them to provide some sort of assurance in writing.

If it is system management software (Security, Messaging, Disk
management, etc.) the vendor might expect that you receive value from
this software even when you are running in normal mode.  The backup
machine still needs to be secured, monitored, etc. and so the vendor is
providing value on the HA machine even when it is not the production
machine.

A third type of software is discreet utilities that provide a single
function - and I think those vendors should be careful about pricing
themselves out of the market.  Years ago (and at another job) we had an
EDI vendor hit us with an astronomical price when we proposed to upgrade
our hardware.  They wanted to charge us not only the difference in a P20
to P40 price (reasonable), but they had had a huge price increase since
we originally purchased their software and they wanted to charge us the
difference between what we had paid for a P20 and what they were
currently charging for a P40 license (totally unreasonable!).

As we analyzed the problem, it became apparent that it would be cheaper
to push the files we needed to "EDI" from the big, hurking, production
box (using DDM if I recall) to a little P05 and then just EDI from the
P05.  End result: we got a new machine, and a license for EDI on the
P05, saved about $40K, and the vendor who played hardball got P05
maintenance for future years rather than P40 maintenance.  They simply
priced themselves off of our production machine.

jte

--
John Earl | Chief Technology Officer
The PowerTech Group

This email message and any attachments are intended only for the use of
the intended recipients and may contain information that is privileged
and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any
dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly prohibited. If you
received this email message in error, please immediately notify the
sender by replying to this email message, or by telephone, and delete
the message from your email system.