Hi Lynette,

Some ideas for things to check as follows:

1. The end of the twinax line must be terminated so that the poll from the IBM
host can pass through each twinax device, bounce off the termination, and then
return to the IBM host. If you are using twisted pair, the daisy chain
functionality is in the twinax concentrator itself and each conection from the
concentrator to a terminal needs to be terminated properly at the terminal. If
you are using true twinax, all devices but the last one need to be in pass
through mode and then the last device terminates the chain.

2. You can have up to 7 devices per twinax port. The addressing scheme is 0
through 6 and all devices need a unique address. If two devices get configured
to use the same address, a conflict is created that can crash the whole line.
Printer ports on a 3197 terminal need a separate twinax address from the
display session. I have seen problems like the one you describe during my
career when a printer port, with no actual printer, was accidentally enabled
causing an address conflict.

3. The grounding for true twinax cabling is in the shield surrounding the
actual wires. In very old cabling, it is possible for the shield to break
somewhere in a cable causing a short to occur. Sometimes everything will
continue to work correctly even with a short until a device is removed or
installed. The minor jostling of the damaged cable will allow the short to
prevent the whole twinax port (or sometimes a portion of the devices on the
port) from working until the damaged cable is located and replaced.

4. Twinax devices are supposed to respond when contacted by the host. Sometimes
a hardware failure occurs on a single device, which causes it to stream answers
onto the twinax link (effectively talking all the time filling the bus up with
data <twinax is only 1 Mb/sec> so that no other device can function) causing
some or all devices to fail. The line will typically remain down until the
device is located and removed. You can test for this failure by powering off
all devices and then powering on a single device to see whether it works. If
yes, move to the next one and continue powering devices on one at a time until
you find the one which causes the line to crash.

HTH

Best Regards,

/Paul
--