From: Pete Helgren [mailto:Pete@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2006 11:21 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Digitial Certificate help needed.

The Certificate Authority is the entity that issues certificates for
other client side applications to use.  Verisign would be an example of
a Certificate Authority.  However, you can set up a local certificate
authority to issue certificates as well, the only issue is that if you
use a local authority to issue the certificates then the client may not
recognize the issuing certificate authority so there is a second
certificate that is necessary to validate that the certificate authority

is "real'.  Your browser, for example, already has many certificate
authority certificates imported into it so it can immediate;y recognize
that the certificate issued by the authority is valid.  So, really there

are two certificates.  One that says the Certificate Authority is valid
and a second that says, this is a valid certificate from a certificate
authority.  In most cases when you set up certificates, you are setting
up the second kind, especially if the certificate is from a well known
authority.

However, this isn't what you are dealing with.  I think you are
referring to a client side certificate so that your iSeries can
authenticate to the the bank.  I don't know if they have a local
certificate authority that issued that certificate or not, however, the
FTP client at your end uses that certificate to authenticate. So I think

you have to import that client certificate into the certificate store
which means that you will open the *SYSTEM certificate store and then
import it in as a client certificate.  I opened the *SYSTEM certificate
store and then went to manage certificates.  That is where I saw the
import option.

I haven't had experience doing what you suggest but I think you should
import the certificate into the *SYSTEM certificate store.  Not sure
what step to take after that.

Pete Helgren