Not quite ( although I must admit that was my first thought till I
checked in the manual :-)

An exception join can be right or left only, just like an outer join.
Saying EXCEPTION JOIN is the same as saying LEFT EXCEPTION join just
like saying OUTER JOIN is the same as saying LEFT OUTER JOIN.  A right
exception join would only give f,g and a left exception join would give
a,b.

Thus the OP needs to use a left out join to get a,b,c,d,e and a right
exception join to get f,g.

HTH,

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America