Chris,

As I'm sure you discovered, the functions you are trying to use are for
DB2 under UNIX, OS/2 and Windoz, not for DB2/400.   DB2/400's functions
and features often lack behind those found on the normal DB2 platforms
(MVS, VM, VSE, Various UNIX flavors [AIX, HP-UX, Linux, etc.],  and
Windoz).

What you have also discovered is general books on SQL or RDBMs, even
general books on DB2 do not cover DB2/400 even though some of its
(DB2/400) functions and features also appear as a part of the regular
DB2s.   So, unless you get a book that is SPECIFICALLY for the iSeries
or DB2/400, you might be disappointed to find what is available in other
RDBMs and other DB2s is not available on DB2/400.

Most general IT circles don't seriously consider the iSeries/AS/400 at
all, much less its claim to be one of the RDBMs in the world.   While
that is very disappointing and a seriously missed opportunity for the
rest of the IT world, it is nevertheless true.   Again, that's why
general SQL or RDBMS books might disappoint.

Sincerely,

Dave Odom