Keith,

The people who are unwilling to change the perception ARE the people who are stuck in their green screen. Users and programmers being unable to change does not make the System i5 a legacy system. Those are legacy users on a modern system.

Most applications that are business related ARE modal, whether you run them through a web interface or not. I have personally been involved with transformations of 5250 applications into GUI applications that are easier to use and increase user productivity while remaining a modal application. You have system design and browser technology mixed up.

As for costs, replacing a system is much more expensive than leveraging existing systems and modernizing them in MOST cases. More often than not, legacy applications are thrown out due to the inability of the IT department to understand modernization or the vendors ability to deceive a customer into believing that a graphical application has more depth of business functionality than a legacy application.

Trevor

----- Original Message ----- From: "Keith Carpenter"
Subject: Re: Say Hello to IBM System i5!

I'm sure the person staring at a terminal (real or emulated) is relieved
to know 5250 is just a data stream.  You're talking tools and what a
could be developed if the midrange customer wanted to commit resources
to it.  IBM offers a bunch of tools themselves, but none of them have
changed the perception of the 400/i5 as a greenscreen legacy system.

Transforming a 5250 data stream won't produce a decent GUI.  Most 5250
apps are modal and really need to be reworked for better UI.  This is
costly and why the terminal app is more often thrown out and replaced
with something new.

Keith
.com/midrange-l.