midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   5. RE: Say Hello to IBM System i5 (Urbanek, Marty)
>
>After convincing management that "iSeries" was a viable platform on which to
>implement new products, we were able to make a go of it thanks to the new
>technology put in the box by IBM. Still, many of our tech people consider it a
>nuisance because it is not just another UNIX box.

Marty:

Just out of curiosity, do any of them get to use any of the shells under PASE?
That is, it's been pretty hard to dismiss iSeries as 'not being UNIX' for quite
a while now. Granted, there may be apps and utilities that you don't have
installed; but I'm pretty sure every UNIX box in your organization has a few
apps and utilities missing also.

It might be interesting to see what percentage is missing in both directions.

More personal, Marty, I wanted to cut any reference to your name out of my
reply to help emphasize that I wasn't wanting to respond to you but to the idea
you put words to. I think that's the way you took it because your return reply
also seemed to be impersonal.

I certainly recognize the issue you have. I only hope to get others to help
move it all forward. If "we" can't let go of the past, the rest of the industry
will follow our lead.

Tom Liotta