"System i5" has become just a generic "The Computer" to me.   This is like
how the auto companies play with naming.  The Pontiac GTO label on the
latest version is a disgrace to the 1970 model I had.   Look how well their
marketing is doing (Ford lay off of 30,000 people).  Every new division
manager needs to make HIS name so the box gets a new name.  Reminds me of
the mayors name on the sign in front of the airport.  Next election the
signs all have to change.

IBM thinks they are so advanced in running several OS'es on the box, big
deal.  20 years ago my home Amiga ran native Amiga OS, MAC OS, had an add-in
Intel card (sound familiar) to run MS and Linux OSes.  Making the platform
into a Swiss Army knife computer will not make it best of breed in any of
it's markets.

Don't get me wrong I still enjoy the system and look forward to the v5r4
announcement.  But please IBM can we just focus.  We don't need an imbedded
PC when you keep telling me (TV ads) that the xServer is so great.  You have
systems optimized for Linux, and AIX too.  And most of YOUR other options
are less costly than doing it on the i5.

I hope I'm less frustrated around 1:00pm tomorrow.

Long live OS/400.

--
Doug Hart