If you wanted to "zip" them you could use the jar command to put them all in a named file

Something like

STRQSH CMD ('jar cf File names to jar and name of resulting jar') I use the .zip extension because it is easily opened with Winzip and other such tools

Pete Helgren

Chris Bailey wrote:

I'm trying to help an IBM iSeries based company automate the transfer of a
set of arbitrarily named files to a Windows/Linux based company.

I have no direct AS/400 experience, but lots of experience on other
platforms, so please be patient with me.

The files we need to transfer are scanned one page images from Content
Manager.  The documents have been extracted from CM/ImagePlus into a folder
and are ready to transfer via FTP.  Normally the SAVDLO command would be
used to save all the documents to a single SAVF format file, then the single
SAVF physical file would be FTP'd out using a PUT command in BINARY mode.
This works perfectly because the SAVDLO command allows *ALL file selection.

The problem is that the receiving system is non-IBM so there is no way to
open this file.  The SAVF file format specification is not published (as far
as we know) so we'd need to crack the format, and that seems like a big
waste of time and money.

Here's what we think we know:

CPYTOPCD with TRNTBL(*NONE) and TRNFMT(*NONE) should generate an
untranslated binary physical file for us, but it doesn't support wildcard
file selection.

The CAT command (cat -c file1 file2 >> fileout) should allow us to create
one large concatenated file, but again, the input files must be named.  We
can split this type of file apart at the receiving end if necessary.

So experts, we're looking for a solution.

Is there a way to either concatentate all the files or FTP a set of files
when they have arbitrary file names?

Any ideas would be most appreciated.