Scott

Ingvaldson, Scott wrote:

It's not necessarily the same bug, it might not even be a bug.  The
"bugs" for V4R2 and V4R4 here are almost certainly different, they are
just for the same module.

Slipping the LIC could fix some unknown corruption; it's not for the
faint of heart.  I didn't realize at first that you were on V5R1, if
possible I'd try to upgrade to V5R2 or V5R3 first.  Going back to the
original problem, I'm going to assume that this did not start when you
upgraded to V5R1.

I do not know what version the 170 had when originally shipped. It is a second user system that had V5R1 on it when purchased.

When did it start and do you have a system save from
before then?

It started some time after they loaded all their files from a very old PC onto the IFS, but the IFS has been used before that, but not so regularly. I will find out when the last system save was done.

"Slipping the LIC" would be done using option 1 of the Install Licensed
Internal Code menu.  It would require a careful reading of your Backup
and Recovery manual, again if possible I'd try to upgrade to V5R2 or
V5R3 first.
I do not know what V5R2 or V5R3 would cost and I will find out, but, whatever that is, I doubt that they can afford it. If it was my machine, I would say that it was faulty when shipped and expect the supplier to fix it or take it back, but I don't really expect the latter to happen. In any event, they would then be without a server.

If upgrading to V5R2 or V5R3 is not possible make sure that you have
your I_BASE_01 cd, all of your software license keys, a current Cume PTF
set and a good option 21 backup before even attempting this.  If done
incorrectly you could lose all of your data.
I have managed (I think) to get them to understand the importance of proper backup. They do not have any software CD's but I can get a set. They do have their keys.

The Cume pack they have for V5R1 is labelled SF99510 - C4300510. Do you know if this is the last one?

Many thanks for all your help

Bets wishes

Rob Dixon