If your compliance person is worried about SOX, well, you don't have to
retain for a year.  You have to retain for as long as your policy
dictates.  We've refined our policy accordingly (after discussing with
our auditors, of course).

Also, retention can mean tape.  It doesn't have to mean online or
near-line.

Regarding the iSeries, you can get 300GB 10K SCSI disks for
current-generation boxes.  For archival storage, these should be quite a
bit more cost effective than the 70GB or 140GB 15K disks.  Set them up
in a different ASP or LPAR to mitigate the difference in performance.

iSeries SCSI disks going back to at least the beige C models (Bs are
probably no different) use SCSI disks that can easily be re-used in
other devices.  They are standard SCSI drives except that they come
formatted for a 520 byte sector vs. the industry standard 512 byte.
Low-level format the drive & it can be used in anything that talks SCSI.

Current iSeries SCSI disks will be from IBM/Hitachi or Seagate.  I don't
know if there are any Quaxtor (Maxtor bought Quantum) disks and I'm
pretty sure there aren't any Western Digital (or any other players like
Samsung) since they don't really make enterprise-class SCSI disks.