From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Steve Landess
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 1:29 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Losing Device Descriptions when system is powered down

Grizzly -

AFAIK, I've never seen this happen with IBM devices...

I would suspect that (since you didn't specify) that these are non-IBM
printers that can emulate several different IBM printer models, and that

when the system is IPL'ed that the "signature" that it gets is for the
basic
printer model that it emulates

In my experience, this has been a common problem with non-IBM devices
(printers and 5250-type displays).

In my client shops where this has occurred, I have typically seen the
system
administrator turn OFF Automatic Configuration once everything is
initially
configured properly, then from that point forward, either manually
create
new devices using the appropriate CRT* command or turning Automatic
Configuration on just long enough to configure any newly-attached
devices,
then turning it back off.

Regards,
Steve Landess