From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of James Viney
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 6:16 AM
To: 'midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: Screen freezing and Call Stack unavailable

We are having a problem where some users of our in-house system are freezing
for several minutes.  The 'X' appears in the bottom left of the screen and
remains there until the screens 'unfreeze' and can affect many users at any
time.  The users affected can all be accessing different parts of the system
so trying to work out where the source of the problem lies is very
difficult,  They never timeout and to make it even more difficult to trace
the problem, if I try to view the call stack of one of the frozen users, my
screen then freezes for as long as the user's screen is!  Eventually, my
screen will either return with 'Call stack unavailable' or both screens will
be unfrozen and the call stack is now available.

Because we don't know if the problem is at file level, or which file(s)
is/are causing the problem is difficult to put a trace on anything.  Also it
can be weeks before the next incident occurs.

The system is written in RPG (v. old style to RPG ILE) and CL.  Synon was
also used extensively.  Fingers are being pointed at programming level
because users of other systems implemented on the same iseries do not have
this problem.

Can anyone advise why the Call Stack would be frozen and any action I can
take to find the problem.

Thanks,

James

James Viney
Senior Analyst/Programmer
Fortis Insurance Limited
Fortis House  Tollgate  Eastleigh  Hants  SO53 3YA
Tel: 02380 313324
Email: james.viney@xxxxxxxxxx
Registered Address: Fortis House  Tollgate  Eastleigh  Hampshire  SO53 3YA
Registered Number: 354568 England Authorised and regulated by the Financial
Services Authority

This e-mail together with any attachments are intended for the addressee
only and may be private and confidential. If you are not the intended
recipient, or the person responsible for delivering it to the intended
recipient, you must not open any attachments, or copy, disclose, distribute,
retain or use this e-mail, including any attachments, in any way whatsoever;
please return it to us immediately using the reply facility on e-mail.