What's Al's question?
What all is needed on PC end and on 400 end to do data entry to 400 applications on a PC not connected to the 400? I think it is doable, but I think it would be frightfully expensive to implement, unless I am missing something about existing readily available resources.

I got an odd question from work.
"Al, is it possible to have a 400 session without having an AS/400"
I mumbled about in theory various AS/400 languages could also run on a PC, and reminisced about my old punched card days, like "key to diskette", with equipment that went off the market 40 years ago ... whatcha looking to do on it?

Transpires they looking for data entry alternatives to sending a file over e-mail or direct communications attachment, where a PC gets a 400 session like via VPN ... is it practical to key in a data batch on a PC, then have the transaction batch arrive in person or snail mail on some media then stick it into the 400 as input, and what equipment and software needed to do that?

There's already a CD Rom drive on the 400, intended for IBM OS upgrades, I suppose there must be some way for normal 400 software to access normal data there, I just have never worked with any. However, it probably would be more efficient, from a performance perspective, to copy whatever is on the CD to hard disk, then have 400 software process it there.

You can only put 1/2 a Gig on a CD. You can put much more on a tape, but CD drives are standard on PCs, and I seriously doubt PC tape drives are compatible with what the 400 needs for backup.

The PC application would have to know what layout is needed for the data in the file. There would have to be conversion of the data format from PC--ASCII to 400-EBCDIC, all the stuff taken care of thru Client Access and Data Transfers ... Oh, say the data could go from PC-unconnected then PC-connected-to-400 data transfer, on PC media whether CD Rom or Diskette, although I have had some troubles with CD formats can only be read by certain CD software.

The 400 application would have to be modified to be able to accept a batch of transactions this way, simulating a real human being, where normally the user keys in some vendor # or order #, and the data is accepted if it meets certain valid combinations, and there is no provision for handling data entered that is not valid, which includes incomplete input where some mandatory field is not filled in with something valid, and the data to the 400 application results from a combination of what the user entered, and what happened when the control #s are validated.

I did such a modification on the old System/36 where they wanted scrap transactions recorded, but felt they were too much trouble to key in. I got the scrap data from another application, cloned the data entry program then simulated what it did with human keystrokes, only supplied the data stream from my work file instead of a real human being.

-
Al Macintyre
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:AlMac
http://www.ryze.com/go/Al9Mac