At my former job we had a powder coating facility and things got pretty
filthy even if you weren't near anything.  Still, the PC's rolled on.  All
they did was basically run Client Access for 5250.  We never needed to use
a floppy or CD.  The plant was rather large so distance would have been an
issue for dumb terminals.  Not to say that it couldn't have been done but
ethernet was less work.

As for support I seem to recall times at other locations where somebody
would decide to clean their desk or rearrange the office, unscrew a twinax
cable, and drop several other terminals.across the room.  Typically a trip
to the facility was involved, time spent figuring out what cable went
where, etc.  Yes, you can avoid some of that with twinax hubs but
daisy-chaining is an option with twinax so you can't totally discount it if
you are going to use it.  There's also the issue of users trying to plug PC
keyboards into dumb terminals...

Dave Parnin
--
Nishikawa Standard Company
Topeka, IN  46571

                      "Joe Pluta"

                      <joepluta@plutabroth        To:       "'Midrange Systems
Technical Discussion'"
                      ers.com>                     <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

                      Sent by:                    cc:

                      midrange-l-bounces@m        Subject:  RE: Some fodder for
marketing, perhaps
                      idrange.com

                      01/06/2006 03:30 PM

                      Please respond to

                      Midrange Systems

                      Technical Discussion

I've seen PCs in just about every environment.  While I agree they're not
the best tool for the most extreme of conditions, dirty and dusty is not
necessarily an issue.  Again, YMMV, but the vast majority of shipping and
receiving docks I've seen are perfectly safe for a PC.  I'll grant you that
I've seen some that weren't; the receiving dock at an extrusion molding
company I knew was pretty bad due to all the dust everywhere (in fact, I
have to believe it was violating some sort of OSHA standards).  But in
general, if you're not on the factory floor itself next to equipment that
drills, grinds or otherwise generates fine particulate matter, PCs can be
made to survive.

Joe