Included in the 32K max record length? Yes (SQL0604 - ALLOCATE rule)

Allocate and then look?  Kind of.  Some buffers can be reused so you may
get a 2GB buffer allocated but when used in conjunction with X BLOBs at
runtime  none of the BLOBs exceed Y MB in reality.  It's the reuse feature
that generally is 'goodness' but in this case wasteful due to you
specifying a size way beyond what is really needed.  The reuse is good as
it avoids repititive buffer allocations.

Was 16MB just a number I picked or something more meaningful?  It is
something more meaningful :-)  Stay at or below 16MB if possible.

Can ALTER change the BLOB characteristics?  Yes, you can change BLOB size
and ALLOCATE (or at least it just worked for me on a V5R3 system with a
quick test)

Bruce Vining

             "Walden H.
             Leverich"
             <WaldenL@techsoft                                          To
             inc.com>                  "Midrange Systems Technical
             Sent by:                  Discussion"
             midrange-l-bounce         <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx                                             cc

                                                                   Subject
             01/05/2006 03:02          RE: Specifying Maximum Length of
             PM                        BLOB

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion

>If you use ALLOCATE then the BLOB (when less than or equal to ALLOCATE
>size) will be stored in the same base record, and one I0 operation will
get both.

Great to know. I assume that that also means that the blob field will
take that amount of space in the record even if it's smaller than the
allocate size, right? And I assume that space is included in the max 32K
record size, right?

>Allocating a 2GB buffer can be more resource intensive than allocating
a 100K buffer...

Yup. But are you saying you allocate the space and then look at the
actual size?

>I would suggest trying to define the BLOB column as up to 16MB rather
than 2GB
>when you really don't need it any larger.

16M is a "magic" number on the iSeries. Was that just a number you
picked, or do you do one thing when the max size is < an extent and
another when it's > 16M?

I guess my issue is, if I don't know the max size, why limit myself.
It's not _likely_ that my blobs would be > a couple meg, but in my case
I'm storing RTF documents, and if the user inserts a couple of images in
a word doc and then converts to RTF it can get big fast!

Also, Can I modify the max size with an alter table, and if so, how ugly
is that? If I put a max of 15M but discover I need to go to 30M after I
have a million rows, have I created a nightmere for myself?

The other obvious solution is to store the RTF file in the IFS and store
a link (datalink, or just a varchar w/the path) in the database.

Thanks,
-Walden

Walden H Leverich III
Tech Software