Can anyone suggest a good, cheap alternative to SNDDST?  Is there a
non-MSF or standard SMTP command or program provided in the OS?

Free utilities that send e-mail:

There's MMAIL (Mime & Mail) from Easy400.
http://www.easy400.net

There's SNDM from UZaemon:
http://homepage1.nifty.com/uzaemon/

There's SNDEMAIL from Dave Leland (September 1998, NEWS/400 Magazine... online link requires a ProVIP membership in iSeries Network -- which comes with a magazine subscription)
http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/article.cfm?id=2806

If you want to write your own, you have these options:

a) the MSF APIs (yuck! don't use them.)

b) The QtmmSendMail() API -- check the archives.

c) The JavaMail API

d) Sockets programming (IMHO, this is the best way.)

I've written a demonstration on how to use sockets to send e-mail as part of my series on TCP/IP programming in RPG. If you're interested, that's available on the iSeries Network at the following links:

http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/article.cfm?id=51701
http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/article.cfm?id=51720

These links also require a membership in the iSeries Network, but a free ("Associate") membership will work.

There are, of course, commercial (for pay) tools to send e-mail as well, but I don't have a convienent list of them.