Except that IBM never marketed it as $300K off the price if you don't
want 5250.  Instead they said 5250 will cost you $300K.  So it is not a
discount for not having 5250; it is a fee for having it.  ($300K
happened to be Enterprise Edition bump on our 570s.  I know it includes
other LPPs, but we only needed EntEd for 5250 capability; the other LPPs
are not important to us.)

The problem is that IBM took something that was built-in and thus
considered by the customer base to be 'free' and made it an option. An
expensive option.  Yes, they lowered the purchase price of the base
server so that it was initially something of a wash, but over time the
cost of 5250 has become an increasingly higher percentage of the overall
cost of a system.

Real world example: On each our 2 570s, the price of EntEd/5250 was over
half the total purchase price.  Think about that.  No extra performance.
No extra storage.  No extra capacity whatsoever.  Just the ability to
access programs, data, and CPU cycles via telnet instead of HTTP.  BTW,
the rest of the price included a nice amount of RAM, several TB of disk,
racks & PDUs, IxS cards, LTO3 tape libraries, HMCs, and the OS/400
licenses.  Very nicely loaded systems and yet the ability to type
"TELNET MYSYSTEM" vs. "HTTP://MYSYSTEM" still cost over half the overall
system price.

Believe me, I like the platform as much as anyone on this list, but it
becomes increasingly difficult to sell management on the cost of
upgrades.  Things like the charge for Enterprise Edition will kill the
iSeries at my shop.  It is only a matter of time.

--
John A. Jones, CISSP
Americas Information Security Officer