From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
qsrvbas@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 4:43 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Some fodder for marketing, perhaps

midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   6. RE: Some fodder for marketing, perhaps (Jones, John (US))
>
>I have to ask, what kind of "interactive tax" do unix system vendors
>charge for telnet/VT100/VT220 access?  I don't know for sure, but I
>strongly suspect the answer is $0.

AFAIK, you're right. OTOH, one might easily consider any fees for Oracle
to be a "database tax", etc. It was the user community that took to the
term "interactive tax"; so, I suppose any charges beyond base hardware
and operating system could be called a "[some feature] tax".

If I wanted twinax-style terminals and similar device/controller/SNA
support on a unix system, is it available simply by plugging in a
controller card? Or will I need to pay some additional "[unix option]
tax"? I really have no idea. But it's not as meaningful since that's not
the direction things went.

Before the "interactive tax", AS/400s were more or less all priced
similarly. There wasn't as much distinction between the 'server' systems
that had zero/minimum interactive and the systems that sold with a lot
of interactive capability. When the big price difference came about, it
wasn't exactly by IBM suddenly charging _more_ for the interactive
systems and leaving the price point for 'servers' where it was. It came
mostly by IBM drastically _reducing_ the price point of 'server'
systems. (IIRC)

So, it wasn't by adding a "tax"; it was by slashing off a big discount.
Those that didn't need it didn't have to pay for it. Is that concept
different for unix vendors?

Tom Liotta