Just for grins, check the authorities on the PDF files as compared to the
authorities on the non-PDF files (that worked).  Sometimes authority issues
return non-intuitive error codes.

You can check authorities using the WRKLNK command.  You can start with
WRKLNK '/', use option 5 to drill to the folder, and then use option 9 on
the file.  Use F11 to swap between object and data authorities.

Joe