Justin-
I found a helpful V5R3 summary in a Redpaper titled
"i5/OS V5R3 - A Guide to Getting There from Previous OS/400 Releases"

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/redp3997.html?Open

Version 5 Release 3 new functionality

i5/OS is necessary for the new POWER5 technology-based hardware. Considered
an

upgrade from previous versions of OS/400, it takes advantage of new and
enhanced

functions such as:

_ Capacity on Demand to include memory, trial processor, and reserve
processor.

_ Automatic processor balancing with uncapped processor partitioning.

_ Hardware Management Console (HMC) used to manage multiple logical
partitions

(LPARs) without needing a primary partition.

_ AIX 5L to be run in an LPAR on Models 520, 550, 570, and 595.

_ POWER5 Linux kernel and distributions in common with pSeries servers.

_ Extended storage area network (SAN) and storage connectivity options for
the Linux

environment.

_ Extending Windows integration options with support for Windows 2003
server.

_ Increased storage space size up to 1 TB for Windows and Linux storage
spaces.

_ Storage allocation for Linux and AIX 5L in iSeries Navigator.

_ DB2 scalability enhanced with partition tables and materialized query
tables.

_ Configuration of Management Central as a highly available application.

_ Independent auxiliary storage pool (IASP) support extended to include
output queues.

_ Cross-site mirroring (XSM) extends mirroring support for geographic
mirroring, a part of

High Availability Switchable resources.

_ New time zone architecture that includes Simple Network Time Protocol
(SNTP) client and

server support and is positioned for future benefits.

_ Enhanced OS/400 Portable Application Solutions Environment (PASE) and now
based on

AIX 5.2.

_ New and enhanced functions for single sign-on (SSO) including enhancements
and a

Synchronize Functions wizard for Enterprise Identity Mapping (EIM) and
network

authentification service.

_ Partial transaction saves (ragged save) of save-while-active when the
commit cycle has

not completed.

Support is another reason to upgrade to i5/OS V5R3. The intended policy is
that there is a

12-month notice to announce end-of-service for i5/OS V5R3 when release +2 is
announced.

The date of support will be extended to the last day of September or March,
whichever comes

first.

Find more information about V5R3 in IBM i5 and iSeries System Handbook: IBM
i5/OS

Version 5 Release 3, GA19-5486, available at:

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/ga195486.pdf

Regards, Dan