Dave,
  The tape drive can not be active on multiple partitions at the same time.
  This is due to the resource (controller) being allocated to a specific
partition.
  To use it on another partition, you must vary the drive off, move the
resource to the other partition, then vary the drive on in the new partition.
  AFIK, there is no way to automate this function using existing IBM software.

Dave Reiher/prairiefarms <DReiher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Hello,

I am fairly new to the AS400 world and need a little assistance.
We have a tape carousel that was purchased before I came on board. Right
now it doesn't seem to be serving a good purpose as far as I can tell.
They only use one drive in it and we have our main partition and a couple
of logical partitions on our 400. Currently they have a job that creates a
save file on our Domino partition and then ftp's that over to our main
partition where it is then placed on the tape with the main partition's
backup. I would imagine that there has to be a utility or at least a way
that these partitions can use the same tape carousel without having to do
it this way. Does anyone know if there is? We run our disk usage to some
dangerous levels the way we currently do it, I can't think that there is
not some way we can utilize that tape drive from each partition. Any
suggestions??

Thanks!
Dave Reiher
System Analyst