Hee hee hee!  "Screw sarbox!"  By the way, have you heard the rumblings that
one of the unintentional side effects of sarbox is that some large companies
are considering going private?

Well, if you know which files the user run queries over, you can limit
access to other.  If on the other hand they can run queries over anything,
then you have huge issues of database maintenance.

In any case, I have run into few operations that have quite as fluid
requirements as yours seems to have, so while locking down the system might
not work for you, it is still a viable business option for others.

Joe