In OS/400, physical files can have key fields.  Were this not the case, your
program could not be compiled since it's using SETLL/READE on the physical
file.  If you examine the source for the physical file, you will probably
see those key fields defined at the bottom.

RPG will not automatically begin using any file not explicitly defined in
the program.  If you want to use another file, you'll need to change the
file specification.

Donald R. Fisher, III
Project Manager
Roomstore Furniture Company
(804) 784-7600 extension 2124
DFisher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<clip>
In the current RPG program, it does a SETLL/READE on the data
based on a key (which is the first five fields in the record).  However, the
READE command does not have an associated logical file - it is using the
straight PF (this program was written before my time, and I suspect does not
run as efficiently as it should).

I went into the system (via Navigator) and added an index to this PF of the
fields that are in the key.  Now my question: when a new index is created on
a physical file, will an RPG program begin using it automatically, or does
the program need to be made aware of the index?
<clip>