"Typing and mousing is a no-no" is simply an ~opinion~. There is no reason why a user cannot mouse and type at the same time. In this thread, Doug Hart said "...I have adjusted. I now only use my left hand for typing on the keyboard and my right hand on the mouse".

If you use the mouse more than the keyboard, put the mouse in your dominant hand. If you use the keyboard more than the mouse, then learn to use the mouse with your non-dominant hand. This is a very simple approach that will let users be efficient in ANY application.

Of course, if an application was written correctly, the user would key when keying was needed, and mouse when mousing was needed. I personally have converted green applications to where a complete order entry was converted from heads down data entry to half a dozen mouse clicks. The user spends most time checking the data for validity and the computer does the grunt work.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Raul A. Jager W."
Subject: Re: Accounting Vendors

Typing and "mousing" is a no-no. Web applications should either allow to enter all, ar at least most, info trough the muose, or use only the keyboard. Normaly you can go from a field to the next using "tab", also a fairly simple javascript can emulate the "field-" and "field+".

It all comes down to a cost-benefit analysis. Like it or not, from an
ergonomic point of view, the 5250 data stream protocol is much more
efficient than Windows + HTML, aside from being more suited to rapid data
entry. Easier to just hit Field Exit than to click on another field with the
mouse (both hands stay on the keyboard).