De : midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
De la part de msmith6@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Envoyé : jeudi 1 décembre 2005 15:03
À : midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Objet : Re: Creating nightly full backups (Lukas Beeler)

You programmers are right.  You can only get the *SAVSYS when the
system is in restricted mode.  Not really that big of a deal because
that only changes when you put PTFs or upgrade OS.  Do a full system
save and send that off site, at the same time make a *SAVSYS tape that
you can leave 'at the office' if it's that important.

Do yourself a favor and start using BRMS.  Every night make sure the
last thing you do is backup the object information in the BRMS
databases.  When you run the maintenance job everyday (expires tapes,
moves them from location to location, etc), you get an awesome report
that tells you step by step how to restore the system.

As a side note, ask the Windows guys if they've ever tried to restore
that *full system save* on another system?  I bet they haven't.
Windows doesn't like being restored to different hardware.  Our
Distributed Conmputing team moved to running alot the Windows servers
on VMWare just for that reason since VMWare vitualizes the hardware.
Hmm, where have I seem a system that does that for you?  When we went
to our IBM disaster recovery test, I would restore the Mainframe (in a
VM partition) and iSeries without any problems and they'd be pounding
their heads on the wall.

I don't know if you have a disaster recovery contract with anyone or
need one for that matter, but we have ours with IBM.  In addition to
the nice report that BRMS, IBM supplies me with a step by step screen
shot writeup to IPL the system from tape, selecting disk from DST, etc.

m.