Got a weird message in QSYSOPR this afternoon after a user attempted to
release a spool file already in Ready status and with the writer in RLS/WTR
status, which generated a CPF3322 "File QSYSPRT number 1 not released" in
the user's job.

32 seconds later, QSYSOPR shows CPI9080, and the user's job shows CPF8055.
No messages on the writer job, no messages on the printer. But couldn't see
anything that would get the system to start processing RDY spool files on
this queue/writer. I ended up stopping and restarting the writer, and that
solved this problem, but I am told this has never happened before. FWIW,
we're on V5R2 and the printer in question is a Lexmark 4039 10R, configured
on the system as device type *IPDS.

I searched IBM's iSeries support site as well as the archives here, and
found nothing.

- Dan

On QSYSOPR:

Message ID . . : CPI9080
Date sent . . : 11/16/05 Time sent . . : 14:35:33

Message . . . . : Internal distribution recipient index (*DRX) is being
built again for user ID and address ABRESLIN EAGLE.

Cause . . . . . : The *DRX for user ID and address ABRESLIN EAGLE was
damaged
and is being built again by the system. *DRX damage can occur if either the
machine fails (machine check), or if the power is lost while an entry is
being put on or taken off the index. Entries are put on the index when a
distribution is sent. Entries are taken off the index when a user receives
or cancels a distribution.
Recovery . . . : The system will do the build and loading in the job that
sent this message. The job can be held (HLDJOB) until a later time or the
running priority can be changed (CHGJOB) to cause less impact on the rest of
the system. See the technical description for more information on holding
the job.
Technical description . . . . . . . . : The job will be active for some time
while the *DRX is being loaded. The job should not be canceled and should
be allowed to complete building and loading the user's *DRX again. Holding
jobs QDIA, QDIALOCAL, or QNFTP will stop office or network distributions
from processing. Holding job QDIAINDUSR will stop printing for indirect
users.
To bypass loading the *DRX for the user, you can end the job (ENDJOB) that
is doing the build and then start the job again. If the job is running in
the QSNADS subsystem, you will need to end the subsystem (ENDSBS) and then
start the subsystem (STRSBS) again. If the job is ended, the distributions
will not be loaded into the index again until an abnormal IPL occurs.

>From job . . . . . . . . . . . : QPADEV0012
User . . . . . . . . . . . . : ABRESLIN
Number . . . . . . . . . . . : 820130

>From program . . . . . . . . . : QOSRCVRQ

To message queue . . . . . . . : QSYSOPR
Library . . . . . . . . . . : QSYS

----------------------------

On the user's interactive job, referenced in the message above:

Job . : QPADEV0012 User . : ABRESLIN Number . : 820130

File QSYSPRT number 1 not released. {Time: 14:35:01}
Spooled file contains special device requirements. File not sent. {Time:
14:35:33}
-----------------

Message ID . . . : CPF3322
Date sent . . . : 11/16/05 Time sent . . . : 14:35:01

Message . . : File QSYSPRT number 1 not released.

Cause . . . : File QSYSPRT number 1 in job 821228/MFERRIDAY/QPADEV002D
created on system EAGLE on 11/16/05 14:25:32 was not held.

Message ID . . . : CPF8055
Date sent . . . : 11/16/05 Time sent . . . : 14:35:33

Message . . : Spooled file contains special device requirements. File
not sent.

Cause . . . : The spooled file that you specified was not sent because
it contains special device requirements, which cannot be sent using the
option DTAFMT(*RCDDATA) on the Send Network Spooled File (SNDNETSPLF)
command.
Recovery . . . : Do one of the following and try the request again:
-- Specify DTAFMT(*ALLDATA) on the SNDNETSPLF command. This value can
only be used to send spooled files to Version 1 Release 3 Modification 0 or
later releases of the AS/400 system.
-- Copy the spooled file to a database file using the Copy Spooled File
(CPYSPLF) command and then use the Send Network File (SNDNETF) command to
send the file as a data file. The person who receives the file may print
the file when it is received. Depending on which special device
requirements are in the spooled file now, the data in the file may or may
not be completely duplicated by this procedure.

Work with Output Queue

Queue: CSPRT Library: QUSRSYS Status: RLS/WTR

Type options, press Enter.
1=Send 2=Change 3=Hold 4=Delete 5=Display 6=Release 7=Messages
8=Attributes 9=Work with printing status

Opt File User User Data Sts Pages Copies Form Type Pty
_ QSYSPRT MFERRIDAY RDY 1 1 *STD 1
_ QSYSPRT MFERRIDAY RDY 1 1 *STD 1
_ QSYSPRT JMILLERR RDY 1 1 *STD 5
_ QSYSPRT MFERRIDAY RDY 1 1 *STD 5