On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 08:33 -0800, Pat Barber wrote:

> My two cents worth on putting it on the box.
>
> I continue to be amazed at the real lack of a viable email product
> for the box. I know there are several folks who have given it a
> shot but where is the "state of the art" piece of software that runs
> "native" on the box and handles email ???

Check out this site: http://www.ignite400.org/
They use Communigate Pro on their iSeries to host their mailing lists.
Here's the link to that: http://www.ignite400.org/html/mailing_list.htm

Communigate Pro has been available on the as400 for 5+ years.

A quick google search found a lot of iseries specific hits regarding
Communigate Pro.

Note: I've never used this product.  I *have* set up e-mail on a couple
as400's in 2000.  That was back when IBM had the AS/400 Firewall
product.  If that's all the as400 did, then it was simple enough to set
up.  Most problems were resolved by restarting MSF.

But I wouldn't put it on the same box as the core business applications
again.  If I were still a consultant and I didn't want to support e-mail
solutions, then I wouldn't sell them.  Instead, I would find a good
e-mail hosting solution and hand it off.

Phil