On 10/27/05, Scott Klement <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Obviously good points. I guess I see the beauty of the security in the
> Java
> > solution. It takes commands only from an iSeries data queue which, I
> > believe, can be locked down fairly securely. Locked down as in it's
> > possible to restrict who can send a DQE and perhaps even restrict the
> > application(s) that can do it.
>
> I don't understand what you're saying here. You need a userid/password
> in order to even begin to know WHO you're locking it down to. You can't
> lock something down to a user unless you've established that a user really
> is that user. <snip>

Would your comments on this be affected by the fact that the java program
starts by first requiring an iSeries signon, and only then will commands be
accepted?

> Please someone tell me if I'm wrong on that.
>
> You're wrong if you think that data queues make it more secure.
>
> The possibility exists that the Java one that you've fouind is more secure
> for some other reason, though. (I wouldn't know.)

I won't claim to know that this setup is secure or not. I suppose just by
virtue of the java program requiring an iSeries signon, and the possibility
of securing the data queue, perhaps through adopted authority???

STRPCCMD solves the userid/password problem because it's part of an
> existing 5250 connection that the user has already authenticated by (a)
> Having access to start a program on the Windows box in the first place,
> and (b) having successfully logged in to the iSeries.
>
> So, in a way, it greatly simplifies the security situation.

Again, the only problem is is that STRPCCMD requires Client Access, right?

- Dan