...ADDIMGCLGE TOFILE(*fromfile). This will only put one copy of the file in your IFS.
Exactly. This is the magic. I keep all the images on my external hard drive. FTP 'em up and use this option to put them into the catalog. This uses only exactly the space occupied by the uploaded .bin files and is the fastest way I know of to get the catalog ready..

However QFileSvr.400 does not like *fromfile, but that doesn't apply in your situation.
QFileSvr.400, QNTC, and NFS mounted directories are not supported for image catalogs. I have tried this extensively and discussed it with Rochester. They told me that the type of I/O they use to get to the various bits of the image files just doesn't work in these other file system. You can use them as the source (i.e. FROMFILE parameter) because that image is simply being copied at that time.

<And can I add, say, multiple group PTFs to one image?  Or should I just
bite the bullet and add the cume, and then add the PTF for WebSphere
(which pretty much adds everything else), then finally the Hipers.  >
I always download my groups as one big chunk. I get several bin files that I add individually as ADDIMGCLGE. However I seem to recall that IBM is discouraging you for some reason.

I have until recently been doing all the CUME, HIPER, DB, HTTP, JAVA, Backup and Recovery, and Service Agent groups all in one fell swoop. However after a base OS/400 load or an upgrade from V5R2 this is now more than the system can handle. The last time I tried it over, 1000 PTFs were to be applied and the link loader went *TILT*. I had to reload SLIC. I am now doing CUME first and the others as a second big chunk.

*WARNING* There are special instruction in the current CUME which direct the application of two PTFs with a separate IPL prior to the CUME load. Failure to do this will cause big trouble. This one I learned the brilliant way - from JIM's mistake :-)) I know I shouldn't have even mentioned this because I know that all y'all read the instructions with every cume. ;-)

  - Larry