Take a look at what the capacity of your tapes are ... will 100% of what is on hard disk fit on one tape, or are you going to have to deal with a multi-volume set? Multi-volume sets opens up some hassles like proper labeling of volume-1-2 etc. and having them initialized in advance so you not find in the middle of a backup ... will AS/400 let me inquire out of backup for purposes of initializing another tape, and how much more time consuming will that be than if I prepared them all in advance?

I find out about what's on my hard disk (total #s, not actual disk organization) with DSPSYSSTS ... of course these numbers include some stuff that will not be backed up, but that's a good starting point.

When it comes time to do SAVE 21, you will need to be at main console, signed on as appropriate security officer, and during the backup, no one will be able to run stuff on the AS/400, so you might want to give your messages a heads up warning when this scheduled down time will be. Then after you learn how long it takes, you can warn them of future down time durations expected.

After making the backup, you need to organize backup tapes, in rotation, and off-site. I use post it notes with scribbles on which are full backups, other kinds, date they done, other stuff like this or that backup before or after end-month updates.

Different people will give you different guidance, but here's how I do it.
I have created a menu with copies of all the commands I might need, such as
stop all sub systems
start all subsystems
mess with selected subsystems
display list of who all is signed on right now (including discontinued jobs)
display list of all jobs running right now (including stuff in JOBQ)
access critical message queues such as hardware hassles and serious flakiness symptoms

(at end of SAVE 21 it automatically starts all subsystems, but there are various things that can go wrong)

The SAVE 21 prompt has a bunch of options, including second screen

Depending on what restricted tasks I am doing, I also check GO POWER and GO CLEANUP because I do not want GO POWER to kick in immediately after an attended backup, and I do not want GO CLEANUP to kick in in the middle of restricted tasks

So, before going into restricted state, I carefully check what is running on the system, because I not want to crash anything (more work for me in the long run)

I initialize the tape.
I use different volume id for each tape so that the tape statistics in system tools can tell me if some tape is in trouble before it fails

We have cleaning tape, used twice as frequently as the manual suggests, to get better tape life than IBM anticipates, and less hassles ... this is like changing the oil in your car more often than the manufacturer reccommends, so as to extend the useful life of your auto engine Basically the tape pops out "it has been cleaned" push it back in and clean it again for good measure. If we are doing daily backups, then do a weekly cleaning. If something coming up, such as end-fiscal, that will have heavy duty tape use, then perhaps do a cleaning before starting.

I am tasked to do a full system back up. At my previous places of
employment we had a system administrator and BRMS software that handled
system back ups, but at my current place of employment I just became the
administrator (this morning) and we don't have any BRMS software. My
back up experience is limited to putting tapes into the tape drive and
occasionally adding a library to our daily backup program.  As such I
have a couple questions. The first question is how long does an entire
system back up typically take? I imagine it varies based on system, but
is there a general amount of time that should be allotted? My second
question is should I use SAVSYS, or GO SAVE option 21? In my mind GO
SAVE option 21 is what I would want to use, since I do want to back up
the entire system. Once I figure out which save option to use is it as
simple as getting into dedicated mode and kicking off the back up, or
are there any other prerequisites that need to be taken care of? Are
there any special steps I need to take to handle messages? I will be at
the console during the duration of the back up so in my mind I will be
able to handle any errors that are raised. Finally, do I need to do
anything special after the back up is finished?  Any help with these
questions would be greatly appreciated. Also, any documentation, links,
etc on this topic would help greatly.

Thanks,

Griz