On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 20:27 +0200, Simonse, Arco (CMK) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> So here's my question:
> What will be the best document formatting language to create the first
> (main) output of an application that can be converted to other formats
> _on the iSeries itselves_ ? APFDS, Postscript, PCL, HTML or other?
I would not generally use PCL directly.  It's a binary format, so harder
to write IMO.  There are some tools that can decode a PCL stream for
debugging purposes, but I think it's just too painful.  Also, most folks
already have a PDF viewer that allows searching and printing selected
pages.  I haven't seen anything like that for PCL.

I have sent data to folks via e-mail with a link to a web page, but
beware that the type of formatting that you can do with PS or PDF cannot
easily be obtained this way.  Page formatting languages do a better job
of guaranteeing how the output will appear than HTML could ever do. If I
want to communicate information, to be viewed interactively, web pages
can do a great job.  If I want to communicate information, meant to be
printed, then page formatting languages are a better choice.  It would
be a difficult task to generate a web page that prints a 400 page report
correctly.  Not so for PS or PDF.

If I'm writing an AS/400 app, standard 66 line by 132 column SCS spooled
files are my first choice.  They are easiest to create and most well
supported by the system.

If it needs to be somewhat fancy, I've had success using the IBM AFP
driver to create overlays on the AS/400.  I've also had success in using
the POSITION DDS keyword in external print files, which gives some basic
font capabilities and all points addressable text.  The drawback to the
AFP driver is that to make changes you have to go back to the PC,
regenerate the overlay, upload it, and re-create it.

If it needs to be really fancy, then I go the postscript route.  I've
got complete control of the entire page, and I can easily emit PS from
RPG.  I don't have to fiddle with the AFP driver to get it to work.  I
must have postscript printers installed, however.  It's also harder to
write than a simple spooled file.

If it needs to be posted to web or e-mail, then I go the PDF route.
This means converting spooled files directly to PDF on the AS/400, or
writing PDF from RPG, or using PC tools to build the PDF, whichever is
most appropriate for the project.

Regards,
Rich