From: midrange-l-bounces+edelong=sallybeauty.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces+edelong=sallybeauty.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Dave Odom
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 6:36 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Need to communication PGM to PGM between iSeries and VSE

Eduard  Sluis wrote:

>>Not such along time ago we had to create such an interface.
Although at start did not no where to start (reading in manuals dating
not younger than 1977).
Finally it is not that dificult from an iSeries perspective.
The main problem was to get the connection configured at the VSE/MVS
side (not my job).
At the iSeries side then it is only an issue of creating an ICF file,
doing the correct ICF overrides, issuing an EXFMT against the ICF and do
some Minor/Major returncode checking.

I can help if you wish. <<

I may wish.

Perhaps you and others can help me with the following:

What I have to do is compare and contrast if I should use APPC or
sockets to basically get one system to invoke programs on the other and
return codes to allow things to continue as I'd like
OR
if I just use FTP to create a file on each system and a REXX program
(being available in VSE and the iSeries) that performs a "DO LOOP"
searching for the existence of a file and when it sees it, takes action.
 The file is created when certain functions have completed successfully,
kinda like a Data Area bit on.  I need to understand my Return on
Investment of time and energy between APPC, sockets and a sloppy but
workable simple utility.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave