Hi Charles,

I think Vern is probably right -- they probably started allowing this when
they started getting serious about SQL.  If that's the case, it seems odd
that they would mess with the AS400 object naming, since they're translating
it anyway via QADBXREF.  It's like they're using the quotes instead of a
flag to say that the long name is case-sensitive, but they could've kept
that convention within SQL, or made it an SQL session option.  The way they
did it affects all objects on the AS400, e.g.

CRTJOBD JOBD(QGPL/"^^^")

is also valid, not just SQL-accessible objects.  Oh well, there's probably
some good reason that escapes me at the moment on this hot sunny Friday the
14th; aw gee, missed Friday the 13th by a day.  What was it Pogo used to say
about that?

Thanks for the feedback!

Peter Dow
Dow Software Services, Inc.