It definitely runs on the iSeries. I decommissioned an 830 that had SAP running on it prior to being migrated to a pSeries/db2 combo. Another bunch of guys here run it in an AIX partition alongside some traditional iSeries apps.

I believe there is an SAP application express iSeries on offer for at the moment, or at least that's what I understood from one of the presentation I saw from IBM today (although that might not be the official name)

IBM also were telling me about an iSeries SAP implementation that has just been completed for 7-11 in Melbourne, Australia which they seemed to think was significant. In my case, this was of great interest to me as there is an account that I am close to (which is not mine) that is currently evaluating the platform that they want to run SAP on (migrating from BPCS). From what I can gather the iSeries guys (IBM) have gone hard out to try and get this done on iSeries even though it is up against a pSeries/db2 offering which I confess kind of shocked me although it remains to be seen how it plays out.

Maybe they've finally learned that if it gets implemented on pSeries it's a short step to Solaris, or Windows, or whatever, whereas the iSeries might be easier for IBM to defend over the longer haul (presuming they haven't already been completely outflanked). I guess we will see if it is too little too late, but I have to say (again) that the iSeries guys I spoke to were much more determined to win an iSeries sale rather than just an IBM sale ("we can do any of the platforms you want...") which is quite a change from what I have seen the last few years.

For my money, if your people want to go SAP, I say you should embrace the change wholeheartedly and try to get it implemented on the iSeries if at all possible. More chance of that if you get involved than if you oppose the whole idea. Obviously you will need to decide for yourself how far along the decision is and make your choice appropriately but if you can keep the doors open...

Hope this helps and good luck with whatever it all brinsg your way.

Regards
Evan Harris