Hi Kirk,

Most HP printers have a physical mechanism for
determining the paper size loaded into any particular
tray at any given time. Thus the printer must first be
able to sense that Legal paper is loaded into an
automatic feed tray. If it cannot do this, the typical
result is to request the paper be fed through the
manual tray instead.

The second item is the sequencing of the HP PCL
commands coming from the IBM host. Paper size is more
important than the input tray requested in the PCL
command hierarchy. When you initially print a job to
an HP PCL compliant printer, the input tray selection
causes an active paper size to be designated within
the printer. The active paper size will be maintained
by the printer until it is either reset by a data
stream command or forgotten due to the expiration of
an inactivity timer within the printer.

If you were to print job #1 or job #2 to the printer
and then immediately release job #3, the HP PCL
command sequence coming from the IBM host, in order to
process Job #3 correctly, would need to be:

a) Set Legal paper as the size now active
b) Select input tray with Legal paper in it

If the commands were received in the inverted order,
the printer would not change input tray because the
active paper size was Letter and the requested tray
had Legal in it. Then when the active paper size was
changed to Legal, the currently active input tray
would be rejected (wrong paper size) forcing the
printer to its backup option of the manual tray.

One way around this difficulty is to change the input
tray selection commands in the *WSCST to all use 1B 26
6C 37 48. The input tray selection code of 7 means
automatic printer selection via paper size. This would
allow you to move between the two input trays by
utilizing only the active paper size designated by the
application.

HTH

Best Regards,

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi
Principal Consultant

E-mail: ptykodi@xxxxxxxxxx

>date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 12:18:17 -0700
>from: kirkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>subject: Need help with HP1320 via Client Access
>
>I'm trying to get an HP1320 to act like I want it to.
>This printer has a Manual Feed plus 2 paper trays.
Per >IBM's webpage it's set to *HP5 I'm using iSeries

http://mail.yahoo.com