Andy,

I have 1.5GB of RAM currently 1.35GB of which are in use. RAM is cheap cheap cheap so buy lots of it. I am continually amazed by the PCs I see with 2 and 3Ghz of processor and 256MB of RAM with a 512MB page file that's full to the top. Every single thing the user does sends the poor hard drive into a paniced frenzy as "RAM" is being swapped in and out. I upgraded one of my customers desktop from 256 to 1G of RAM and he thanked me for his new PC. :-)

My iSeries Access is completely full load including SSL, Operations Console connections, Domino, Advanced Job Schduler and other plugins installed as well. I usually have multiple multiple 5250 sessions running and often more than one copy of iAccess open though I always close them before I suspent my laptop. (If you're disconnecting from the LAN then iAccess is never thrilled with that. Restarting is MUCH faster)

I've neve coded in JAVA (beyond 'hello world') so I can't speak to the developer side of that equation and I admit there are many Java applications that fire up *waytooslow (i.e the LVT is nearly 10 seconds just to get to the point where I can select 'File->Open' and spends more time chuggin after that.) However it seems that if the machine has the space to do the work (memory) everything (yes even windoze) runs better.

 - Larry

Lopez, Andrew wrote:

You must have something wrong with your PC. I am running XP Pro on a 1.7Ghz Laptop.with 61 (Yes that is Sixty One) open windows including such things as WDSC, Firefox, Notes, Notes Administrator, Word, Excel, 123, Acrobat and the LVT (A full Java App). iNav loads in 6, count them 6 seconds. Ready to rock.

Peformance has been this way for a couple years anyway.

How much RAM?  I'm on XP Pro/Service Pack 2, 1.59 Ghz laptop, Lotus Notes
and Client Access running.

I will admit that I see that kind of time on users with limited installs.
On mine with a full install, two connections to the same box (one under my
profile, one under QSECOFR), Management Central and plugins for three ASC
products, it took 3.5 minutes first thing after loading Client Access and
Lotus Notes.  If I start it later in the day it's even worse.

I've always suspected that it's the RAM that bottlenecks both WDSC (which I
gave up as unusable) and iNav.  Kind of pointless to me, as I simply
use/write/live without green screen equivelents for everything I can in
Navigator.  While I'm hardly qualified to judge what's the ultimate cause,
I've noted that Java is a dog whether it's loaded in the browser or by
Client Access.  I don't think these are that out of date:  Java 2 Runtime
Environment SE, v.1.4.2.06 and J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0, Updates 1, 2 &
4.