John,

Did you call IBM Support? When our 520 came in (last year - early release), I had trouble getting it up, too (forget the SRC code now). Anyway, in my case it turned out that it had been configured at the plant to use the HMC (which we didn't order - or have). I would have thought that they would have fixed that issue by now, but who knows?

        * Jerry C. Adams
*iSeries/i5 Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice
        615.893.8633x152
fax
        615.995.1201
email
        jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

John Taylor wrote:

Folks,

I'm attempting a customer (that'd be me) install of a new 520 with some
optional feature cards, and getting nowhere fast. Neither the machine nor
the parts shipped with any kind of i5/OS related installation instructions,
but I did get:

  1) a 500 page Safety Manual
  2) AIX installation instructions for a 5703 SCSI card

Gee.. thanks IBM.

Anway, the base machine included the following components:

4 - 4326 Disk Units (35.16 GB)
1 - 2844 IOP
1 - 2746 Twinax IOA
1 - 9793 WAN IOA

I'm trying to install the additional features:

1 - 6594 4-Disk Expansion cage
1 - 5703 PCI-X RAID controller
1 - 5702 PCI-X Tape controller
1 - 2844 PCI IOP

The original PCI card positions were as follows:

C1 - empty
C2 - empty
C3 - 9793 WAN
C4 - empty
C5 - 2746 Twinax C6 - 2844 IOP

Using what little documentation I could find at the Infocenter, I came up
with the following changes to the card positions:

C1 - 2844 IOP
C2 - 2746 Twinax C3 - 9793 WAN
C4 - 5702 Tape Controller
C5 - 5703 Raid Adapter
C6 - 2844 IOP

I installed the cards in the new positions, installed the disk cage & 4
additional disks, and connected the new disk cage to controller 0 of the
5703 adapter, using the supplied SCSI cable.

The end result is that I can't IPL into DST. The machine is not finding the
workstation controller (SRC A6005001).

If anyone out there has some decent reference manuals, could you please take
a quick look at my card assignments to see if something is amiss?

Thank you,

John Taylor