The following seems to retrieve any arbitrary *DTAARA:

             PGM        PARM(&DTAARANAM)
             DCL        VAR(&DTAARANAM) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(10)
             DCL        VAR(&RCVVAR) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(2048)
             DCL        VAR(&RCVVARSIZ) TYPE(*INT) VALUE(2048)
             DCL        VAR(&DTAARA) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(20) +
                          VALUE('          VINING    ')
             DCL        VAR(&START) TYPE(*INT) VALUE(-1)
             DCL        VAR(&LENGTH) TYPE(*INT) VALUE(2000)
             DCL        VAR(&ERRCOD) TYPE(*INT) VALUE(0)
             CHGVAR     VAR(%SST(&DTAARA 1 10)) VALUE(&DTAARANAM)
             CALL       PGM(QWCRDTAA) PARM(&RCVVAR &RCVVARSIZ +
                          &DTAARA &START &LENGTH &ERRCOD)
             ENDPGM

I suspect what you're missing is setting the starting position to -1.

Bruce Vining

             rob@xxxxxxxxx
             Sent by:
             midrange-l-bounce                                          To
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx            Midrange Systems Technical
                                       Discussion
                                       <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             10/03/2005 09:43                                           cc
             AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: How to retrieve the length of
             Please respond to         the data area.
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion

Do I need to call this twice?
Once, with a minimal size, to determine the length of the data area,
then again to actually get the data?

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

rob@xxxxxxxxx
10/03/2005 09:31 AM
Please respond to

midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Fax to

Subject
How to retrieve the length of the data area.

I am accessing several data areas, which may not be the same length.  To
do this I am using the Retrieve Data Area (QWCRDTAA) API.  However, it
blows on parameter 5 - "Length of data".  I tried to just used in
parameter 2 - "Length of receiver variable" but I get a CPF1089-Substring
specified for data area not valid.  How do I determine the length of a
data area?
DSPDTAARA DTAARA(...)
Length  . . . . . . . . :   396
I want to do this programmatically.

And what space cadet decided to put data area api's under work management
instead of Object in Infocenter?

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000