Vern,

Thanks. Yep, I am familiar with RJS's products. I had a chance to check out the booth at Common. Great stuff!

If I was building an application that routinely accessed external data from the iSeries then I might purchase something like RPG2SQL, but where SQL Enterprise Manager has an upper hand is that for quick, ad hoc stuff, it just has some nice tools right out of the box. That is where I get frustrated from time to time with the iSeries. As open as the iSeries is, we still lack built in tools that make doing some things easy (like accessing "external" data). I can do that with almost any other platform using ODBC, but with the iSeries, I have to roll my own using JDBC (for example) or purchase a tool like RPG2SQL.

Not a big deal, really. I am pretty used to digging around for additional tools (some free, some not). But, someone coming from a MS-centric world might say: "What, I can't connected to an SQL Database from the iSeries yet SQL can connect to an iSeries database? That doesn't sound very 'open' !"

That would never cause me to move FROM an iSeries. I was just thinking about how nice it would be to have the same connectivity options as SQL EM has on the iSeries "out of the box".

RPG2SQL would be a good solution though.

Pete

Vernon Hamberg wrote:

Pete, et al.

I too am glad for the info on EM - want to see that work on my PC at work.

But---

<blatant verndor response>
For easy connectivity from iSeries to other DB's you might consider our RPG2SQL Integrator product for read/write capability. It looks more like SQL CLI than embedded SQL in RPG but is very easy to use. It works with any DB for which an ODBC driver or OLEDB provider exists. I just recently had it working with XML files. Also have used it against PostgreSQL and MYSQL. It also contains functions that communicate directly to Excel via OLE automation, not SQL. It's not DRDA but, unlike DRDA, it is possible to maintain multiple open connections, although not joining across them.

Check out www.rjssoftware.com or call me at 952.898.3038
</blatant verndor response>

P.S. Blatant misspelling was on purpose - sic!