hello,

i need some feedback for a tool i would like to develop.

background:
the company i currently work for always had an AS400/iseries as their main
computing capacity for the main business application like erp, hr, ... . over
the time they switched to newer models but never "cleanly" migrated to the new
models. so there is a lot of garbage on the current machine (890). also the
maintaining staff of operators aren't that accurate when it comes to operating
tasks. the result is that we got much stuff we really don't need and many
misconfigured devices.

i would like to clean up that mess and am considering the following checks:

objects: has an object been used in the last xx days (through the list objects
api)

library: how many objects reside in a library which are older than xx days (or
not used for xx days) so one could consolidate libraries somehow

output queue: is there an output queue with no device with the same name (which
is a valid case, but it would be nice to know)

physical files: are there any logical files not in the same library as the
physical file

user profile: do the following objects exist: current library, job description,
message queue, printer device, output queue and check the last login date.

device description:
- printer: do the following objects exist: message queue, output queue
- display: do the following objects exist: printer device, output queue,
printer file, message queue. check if there is a user profile with the same
name, cause then there would be two message queue with the same name AFAIK.

i would like to know if these checks make sense in some way or is there another
way of checking these things? am i missing something like the xxx check for xxx
object? i am no iSeries guru so i'm not that familiar with the machine/os.

the checks would be written in java and mostly calling some os400 api. the
result would be stored in database with some kind of frontend to get a view on
the result (probably a web frontend).

any feedback and idea is appreciated.

thanx in advance.

mihael knezevic