1. yes - Hiper Group and DB Group do come with a cume. However, a cume no
longer automatically comes with a release upgrade, or even a new order. For
"pre-installed" OS, you may find a cume loaded also, but I have found it may
not be the latest one.

2. no - I would load hipers more often than only at cume time, and by making
it a hiper, IBM is telling you to install them! - but there are many
factors:
    Is your management going to support the downtime and effort to load
fixes more often?
    Are you running a fairly new release (like within 6 months of general
release)?
    Are you running with a new generation of hardware (not just the
processors, but disk, tape, anything? They tend to get a lot of the hipers.
    Are you expected to keep your system at a very high security level?
Those ptfs labelled "integrity"..
    And just like many Windows Admins are finding out - will you still have
a job if management finds out that last serious problem was for a fix
available many months ago and you chose not to install?
    This is a managers decision - how up to date do you stay vs the time &
money to do it?

I consider ptfs to be an integral part of both security and disaster
avoidance/recovery plans.
Build a plan and work it.

Jim Franz