From: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Date: 09/22/05 01:45:29
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Green screen to GUI

> > It runs on the workstation.  You are correct of course, as
> always.  But with
> > rare exceptions, what iSeries workstation today is not Windows?

we are are running some desktops with linux here (debian) and are using
tn5250. worked out very good.

> For the vast majority of Windows programmers, it doesn't make
> sense to
> learn RPG. They're already familiar with languages like C++,
> or VB. Or if
> they're more modern, they're working in languages like C# and
> Java.  Why
> would they want to convert to RPG?

i fully agree with this. it simply doesn't make sense to switch to a
tool/language which can't do half the stuff you allready can do with the
tools/languages you have or know.

i'm mostly programming java and for me VARPG is no option. too limited. the
user knows what he can expect from a gui application because the see things
in other products. and with VARPG you just can't do it. so why would i want
to switch to VARPG. and i don't think that authorization and deployment is
so easy. at our site we have hundreds of clients/users local and remote and
i don't see a simple strategy for deployment. web applications are so more
simpler to deploy.