Amen brother.

Personally, (and this is going to get me booed on this list...) I would love to
see a port of MS Visual Basic to the iSeries.

-----Original Message-----
    From: "Rick DuVall"<R_C_DuVall@xxxxxxxxxx>
    Sent: 9/21/05 10:38:08 AM
    To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion"<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
    Subject: RE: Green screen to GUI

    Hi Jeff,

        I have felt the same for a long time.  It is
    annoying/embarrassing/exasperating to be talking to someone outside the
    company about a project,  explaining that we are running on the
    As/400-iSeries-i5, only to be met with the 'Oh, that's one of those old
    legacy machines isn't it?' or something similar.  There is nothing I can
    say.  I've tried all the possibilities - 'Dear, the AS/400 was a 64 bit
    powerhouse while Windows was only...' and so forth.  Anything I say has no
    effect - for the most part - they don't have the knowledge or experience to
    comprehend.  The only thing that would make a dent in their smug dismissal
    would be a true graphical interface and the tools to make easy use of it.

        We had better admit it - we live in a graphical world.  All the
    integration/stability/security in the world will not win over the
    uneducated/inexperienced, but one simple graphical interface can start the
    process. (a picture is worth more than a thousand words)

        I have been an c/rpg programmer since 1988 - mostly rpg.  I use
    subprocedures and ILE and make use of the various API's available when
    needed.  I have taken classes and read about java - we even use it
    extensively in xml processing.  But I have just spent the previous week or
    so blundering through trying to get a web service to run on WAS Express 5.0.
    I finally succeeded,  but my point is the Microsoft guys I have worked with
    would jeeringly state - 'I could have had that done in two hours on a
    microsoft platform with microsoft tools.'  AND THEY ARE RIGHT!  I've seen
    it. DAMMIT!

        I don't know what the answer is - I was interviewing a guy the other
day -
    bright guy - late 20's with a masters degree in cs - a real hot dog.  He
    asked what kind of server we ran and I replied with the 'IBM iSeries'
    string.  He replied yeah, but what does it run, Windows 2003 server?  He had
    no idea what I was talking about.

        I don't know where I am going with this - I guess I'm just blowing off
    steam.  But I am getting tired of everybody else (non-iSeries) blowing
    through projects that I have to sweat blood to perform.  I need some tools
    that are on a par with Micro$oft's.  I need wizards that ACTUALLY WORK!
    Everything has to be ARCANE!  Even the simplest things have some little part
    of it obfuscated in the manuals that make it a major effort to implement.

        Oh well, like Jeff said - Back to work...

    Regards and apologies for ranting

    Rick DuVall
    Systems Manager
    Dealer's Auto Auction of Okc