Unless you are running OPS Console, the tape IOA is most likely was added
with a 2nd IOP in the CPU. This make the tape not on the first Bus and
must defined as an Alternate INSTALLATION device vs an Alternate IPL
Device. This is also true if the tape IOA is in any expansion unit.  The
Backup and Recover Guide has the steps to configure it as an Alternate
Installation Device.   The basic steps are ff the system is functional
IPL in Manual Mode
Sign in to DST with QSECOFR
        Work with DST Environment
        System Devices
        Alternate Installation Device
                Pick the tape drive.

The full details are in in Chapter 17 of the V5R3 backup and Recovery
Guide

_____________________
Kirk Goins CCNA
Systems Engineer, Manage Inc.
IBM Certified i5 Solution Sales
IBM Certified iSeries Solutions Expert
IBM Certified Designing IBM e-business Solutions
Office 503-353-1721 x106 Cell 503-577-9519
kirkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx      www.manageinc.com

There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

"MITTELHEISSER Jean Claude" <mitteljc@xxxxxxx>
09/14/2005 08:36 AM
Please respond to

"Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Alternate IPL and Ultrium 2

Hi,

We have a i5 520 and a 820. On each system we have a 3580 Ultrium 2
external drive. But none is seen as an alternate IPL device. SCSI
address is set to 0 on each drive. What else must I do ?
We have also an optical unit on each system and it is shown as an
alternate IPL device.
Example of the i5 520 :
 -  Tape Unit                      3580-002 U787A.001.DPM0L58    SD002
 -  Optical Storage Unit       %   6337-002 U787A.001.DPM0L58    SD001

Thanks
Jean-Claude Mittelheisser