We are on AS/400 model 170 OS/400 V5R1 mixed mode, with more people connected via PCs than via twinax.

There is a problem that we think is either the printer itself, or settings on the 400 for the printer

A co-worker asked me for help with the WRKCFGSTS stuff on a Panasonic 2124 attached to the AS/400 through a PC that has both Client Access and a BosaNova Card, meaning a choice of connection methods ... he has tried both methods and got the same problem. He has also messed with this thru Operations Navigator. Every way he can get at the printer configuration.

I suggested he check as security officer who sometimes sees more settings than ordinary users. I also suggested he get some report that printed Ok on some other printer of the same kind (Green Bar vs. PC paper), and print it on the new printer, to make absolutely sure the problem is not with the reports he using to do testing on the new printer.

I had thought that if you deleted the configuration, connect the printer and power it up, automatic configuration will get all the right settings, but apparently there are exceptions to every rule. He can't get the font right ... it is printing very small print. He tried changing everything that he could to use *HOST and it still font not right.

He tried changing the font size to the smallest # that would go into CPI and LPI, theorizing that would translate to big print, but it still printing tiny characters.

He found another printer that was hooked up similarly, in the Panasonic 1100 series, working fine, and tried to copy settings, make sure got the same IBM driver. Problem not solved.

He reboots the PC after changes to save them.
The 400 has been rebooted since he started work on this ... I have GO POWER shutting it down for a few hours each weekend.

I used to get MIDRANGE_L many years ago but the volume of traffic was more than I could stand ... in the interim there has been a regular famine of other good places to get answers, and I am experiencing a growth in challenges that need answers that I suspect MIDRANGE_L would be a good place to ask.

-
Al Macintyre  http://www.ryze.com/go/Al9Mac
BPCS/400 Computer Janitor