Dear Dwayne,

The instructions regarding the "print server" can have
different meanings depending upon the actual device
being referenced.

If the print server is a connectivity device (example:
Ethernet to Parallel), the instructions simply mean to
power the device off and on when the repaired printer
is returned to service.

If the print server referenced is a software program
managing queues for many printers on some form of
computer, the instructions mean to return the queues
servicing printers B & D to standard operating mode.
Typically when printers go out of service, this type
of print server will have the associated queues
disabled or re-routed as you did on the IBM host.

HTH

Best Regards,

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi
Principal Consultant

>date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:40:19 -0500
>from: "Dwayne Allison"
><Dwayne.Allison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>subject: How remote printer work
>
>Good Evening,
>
>We have four remote printer on our system (A,B,C,D).
>Last week all four were working(A,B,C,D), but two of
>the printer need repair(B&D).  So we our operator
>person forward the printer to the other two printer(A
>&C).  When we got the other two printer going he said
>that he switch them back.  But in the time of testing
>to make sure the switch worked, he left the country
to >check on his mom.

>I look at some of the notes he left and found that he
>changed the remote printer queue on printer (B) to
>printer (A) and it had not been changed back.  He
also >noted that we need to restart the print servers.
 So,
>I contacted our network crew and they do not
>understand the connection between the two. So,
>restarting the print server is out of the question.
>
>What is the connection?

Paul Tykodi
Principal Consultant
TCS - Tykodi Consulting Services LLC