From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Scott Klement
Sent: Monday, July 25, 2005 2:39 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: QtmmSendMail - broke now we are on V5R3...

> We have a program (JUST LIKE THE MMAIL STUFF) that inputs 3 parms
(file
> path/file name, From email address, to email address (with a 0,1,2
> prefixed for distribution type).
>
> I am now getting CPF3C17 (error occurred with input data parm).....

QtmmSendMail is the most maddening, frustrating API I've ever worked
with. The biggest problem with it is that it doesn't report useful error

messages, and your situation is a perfect example.

"Error occurred with an input parameter".  That's REAL helpful! :)
What
error occurred? Which parameter did it occur on?  It's just not helpful.

It leads you to spend a lot of time in trial-and-error trying to figure
out what's wrong.

> The manual gave 3 things to check:
> 1) file placement.   It hasn't changed. It
is.../MMAIL/TEMP/GEMTEST.TXT
> 2)Authority...   *public *RWX X X X X
> 3) mime file has "end-of-header" statement    What is this???

The end of header statement is the blank line in between the headers and

the body of the message. (You have that in the sample you posted here.)

Some other things you might try:

a) Make sure the e-mail addresses (both in the MIME file *AND* the ones
passed as parms to the API) have the blanks trimmed from them. I
recently
was getting the same error you are, and it was solved when I trimmed the

blanks.

b) Make sure that everything is in the correct CCSID.  The MIME file
should be in CCSID 367 (which is a particular variant of ASCII) and the
e-mail addresses passed as parms should be in CCSID 500 which is a
particular variant of EBCDIC.  (Why it doesn't just assume that these
are
in the job's CCSID and translate them if it needs them translated is
beyond me. It must just like creating additional work for me.)

Whenever I use this API, I feel like I'm working with code produced by a

kid fresh out of college.  Or maybe high school.  He's never written a
program before, so doesn't understand the  importance of doing things
correctly.