From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, July 25, 2005 1:44 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Limit ODBC to read only.

Ideally this makes sense.  However most shops have not set up this
security to this level.  For example, let's say I'm running an ERP
application with 5,000 files.  It will take me quite some time to realize
that FRED should be allowed to read from these files, write from those
files and not access these files.  Back in mythological times it was
believed that all this was controlled by the 5250 programs they used.  And
it could still be today if the person has NO access to any of these files
and can only get there by 5250 programs which adopt authority.  So in
general a group profile is assigned that FRED becomes a member of and is
give *CHANGE or *ALL access to all of the 5,000 files.  And a dim prayer
is said that FRED cannot figure out how to use EXCEL, remote commands,
FTP, file transfer, or any number of ways to access data.  Exit points are
used to attempt to control this.