Thank you for the reply.

I had already broken this off into a parallel process.  Basically I submit
off the job that fills off the joblog.  Do other stuff in my backup.  When
I am done with the other stuff in the backup and I need to make sure that
the other process is done running, I check a data queue that the submitted
job will update when it is done.  Kills two birds.  One, clears the
clutter out of my joblog.  Two, shortens the backup process by about 14
minutes.  (And since I have 3 partitions using that same tape drive, this
helps.)

If I was to leave it in one process then I would really have to think
about it.  Assuming that I always want to delete the user space (to clear
out old data if there is any). I'd want to monmsg the DLTUSRSPC to remove
the message if it wasn't there.  I'd also want to remove the message that
said it was deleted if it was.  But I'd not want to remove any other
messages (however doubtful they are for objects in QTEMP).  I just hate
assuming that if something doesn't work it's because of one situation or
another.  Perhaps that could be done by something like:
                 DLTUSRPSC lib/space
                 MONMSG CPF2105 EXEC(DO)
                                 RCVMSG MSGTYPE(*EXCP) /* Not found */
                         ENDDO
                 MONMSG CPF0000 EXEC(GOTO OHCRUD)
             /* Object was deleted (unless we got a message other than a
CPF) */
                 RCVMSG MSGTYPE(*LAST) /* Remove object deleted message to
declutter joblog */
OHCRUD: